Friday 18 December 2020

Looking Forward to Christmas

Weird one this year, lads. Weird one. Most people who know me know that I am a great lover of all things Christmas. I give myself permission to blast Christmas music from November 1st. I decorate cookies, put tiny ornaments on every surface. I live for the joy, the peace, the goodwill towards all men. I am, as I write, wearing Christmas-bow earrings 

But this year, as it does for many, Christmas feels a little different. All our Christmas 'stuff' is in boxes in another country. My children won't get to hug their grandparents on Christmas morning (in fact, all grandparents but one haven't even met Baby James yet). There's a lot about this season that's hard. But I'm under no illusion that this feeling is unique to me, nor that this sense of detatchment from how it 'should be' is different from a feeling that people the world over feel every day, pandemic or not. 

I struggled to write anything at all this year. Personal, creative writing has been a huge part of my life always and I've missed it. Somehow, continuing to show up for Christmas even when I'm feeling mixed feelings about it is a part of trying to overcome this creative funk I can't seem to get out of. I've been slowly but surely finding my old joy-loving self, but it'd be a lie to say she's been with me a lot this year. I'm doing my best to focus on celebrating the good times together with my dear little family - the cookie decorating, getting our tree, making clay ornaments, dancing to All I Want For Christmas Is You, Anna's endless questions about The Good List, the Nativity, twinking lights. 

This is an ode to Christmases, well wishes to have a celebration filled with Christmas movies and cake, and a wish for a more hopeful time in 2021 and onwards.

Peace and joy xo





No comments:

Post a Comment