Sunday 3 March 2013

Another Week Begins




I can't believe it, another week has come to an end! It's Sunday night, and I'm sitting here with wet hair at 23.30. I should be getting ready to go to sleep, but I'm tempted to stay up, finish this post, then watch an episode of Girls, which I've become fascinated by. I've had a great, relaxing weekend; a lovely phone call with my mom, a trip to The Little Mermaid, a cinema visit to see Hitchcock (beautiful cinema, great movie, annoying girl sitting beside me), my first McDonald's trip in a decade, and lots of cycling.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my 5th week on the carpentry course. Last week was a bit of a nightmare, to be honest. We did a lot of Sketchup, which was great, except that I struggled with it, and I'm only now coming to grips with it. I realised I was measuring 90 degree angles incorrectly, and learned the benefits of choosing a good, crack-free piece of wood before starting to cut it. I made a lot of progress, and I'm ready to start the next week full of enthusiasm and having learned some important lessons, but it never feels good to struggle with things.

Because everyone else, bar one or two people, have prior experience, either in designing or in practical woodwork, I'm so completely behind. I have a Masters in Sociology, for goodness sake, I have no practical real world skills! I have to keep reminding myself to be patient, before this I did pass level maths, where nothing was too taxing. I haven't been in school in a very long time, and I never ever ever did wood work or technical drawing. Using a saw, a chisel, measuring on wood, all the things most of the class take for granted, are complete uncharted territory for me. Patience with myself, trying to pick things up quickly, and not getting annoyed with myself when I don't, are key here.

This week I attended my ballet class. I made a lot of progress from the previous week-my body didn't hurt after, I find myself becoming more flexible already, and I'm finding it easier to remember sequences of steps and do them properly. I also did a few shifts at my new job, and again, I'm remembering how to use the till (it's in Danish!), learning the ins and outs of the place, and becoming more confident.

I don't want to make this post massively long, so I'll post some pictures in a new entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment